This blog is a brief glimpse into the crazy and sometimes abnoraml world of my family.

About Me

My photo
You're braver then you believe, stronger then you seem, and smarter then you think. - Christopher Robin

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Kids say the darnest things

Last night Olivia and I were laying in bed, relaxing and trying to stay cool. I was on the computer trying to get some last minute work done for today. She looked at me as serious as could be and said, Mom, whats a nipple.

To tell you the truth the question threw me completely off. Not that I think that a nipple is an awful horrible thing, or a bad word. It is just a strange word coming from the mouth of your 6 year old.

So I asked her, what do you think it is?

Well, she said as serious as could be, isn't it the thing that is on your chin, like Riley has... ?
It took me a minute to completely understand what she thought it was.. and then I spent the next few seconds biting my lip trying not to laugh.

No honey, I answered her, that's a dimple. Boy, kids are hilarious the way they comprehend things sometimes..

So, tonight we are walking on City Island ( a very nice island with activties, parks, the river etc. It is also home to Commerce Park home of the Harrisburg Senators. ) On the island there is a cow (Last year Harrisburg went through this whole thing where an artist created different cows to be displayed around the city, then they auctioned them off for charity. They called it the Cow Parade) So Olivia and Hailey see the cow and immediately run over to where it is. They are looking closely at it when they notice that it has udders. Olivia immediately exclaims "Hey Look gutters!" Her dad and I laughed so hard.. She is hilarious. Even people nearby who heard were laughing. My kids never cease to amaze me.

Riley is either starting his terrible twos or they are getting more terrible. He has been rotten the last few days. I mean you can look right at him tell him not to do it, he just smiles at you and does it anyway. Last night we were all sitting down trying to watch Seabiscut (which by the way was a fantastic movie! I didn't think I would like it at all, which is why I put off seeing it for so long. But I was proven wrong and very impressed) So anyway we are trying to watch the movie. Riley was playing with the firetruck that made noise. He refused to put it away or go somewhere else to play with it so that we could hear the TV. Finally we had to just take it from him. He wasn't happy until we gave it back to him (minus the batteries!) I should know what to expect from him since I have been through this stage with the other two.. but he is just acting out more then they did. Somtimes I have no idea what to do with him!

1 comment:

Monica said...

These are the moments you will remember for the rest of your lives. Kids are so funny sometimes.

I can totally relate to the difficulties you are having with Riley. Chase is the same way sometimes and he won't be 1 until August. Skyler was always so good and if you told her no, she would immediately stop. If she hurt herself doing something, she would have the good sense to never do it again. Chase is my first time dealing with a boy and he just doesn't learn. Fall down the stairs... Let's try it again. Get the picture! I guess it's just what I have to look forward to with raising a boy, huh? :-)








Blog Archive