This blog is a brief glimpse into the crazy and sometimes abnoraml world of my family.

About Me

My photo
You're braver then you believe, stronger then you seem, and smarter then you think. - Christopher Robin

Monday, April 04, 2005

The Pope?

So how do you explain to a six year old who the Pope is? I mean don't get me wrong, we are not complete atheists. Olivia has gone to church (on all major holidays) and even attended preschool at our local church. But we aren't catholic and honestly I am not sure how to even explain to myself who the Pope is? So, the conversation started like this. We were on the way home from visiting my mother. They don't get to see her as much since we moved, so it was a nice visit. On the way home we passed a flag at half mast. She ask me why the flag was down like that. I explained that when someone dies that is what they do. We have had the death talk before so she is fairly certain that when you die she knows that you go to heaven. So, I tried to explain to her about the church and how the Pope was in charge etc..etc.. It seemed to be really complicated to her, she just kind of gave me that kid look like 'What the hell are you talking about'. So I tried to simplify it.. again I got the quizzical look. Eventaully she asked me " So, he is the president of the church?" Exactly I stated with a small grin. Kids never cease to amaze me. Its funny how we take everything in life and make it crazy and complicated. Kids just have a way of making it all simple again.

No comments: